Sunday, October 4, 2009

Should I be this busy if I only work 4 days a week?

No. Probably not. But oh well.

Another crazy week at school... successful lessons, successful observation even though my supervisor came during the nuttiest self-contained behavior disorder class... victory! Been going a little crazy trying to prepare individual (read: 600) pre-assessments for all my students for the entire year... How do you assess 600 students on 25 benchmarks in one week? Without making copies? Personal printer and ink. And scratch paper and pencil. A little stressed out because assessments will take up about 2/3 of each class period so my lesson content is basically extending last week's content and I like to have fresh activities and content every week... But next week will be better. And I'll have 4 days to prepare (thanks Columbus!). Along with new bulletin boards and entering assessment data and developing a concert program. Good thing Meghan's on a retreat!

I say that because all my city fun lately has been with Meghan and Brittany. I probs wouldn't go out at all these days if not for them, so I'm simultaneously grateful and money-anxious and a little generally anxious even though I shouldn't be. But now I might be babysitting more regularly (charter school fell through) and I think I get to keep a lot more of my paycheck after taxes than I had originally thought. I continue to survive off the lowest possible amount it takes to sustain NYC living. I won't know what to do with all the extra money if I ever get hired by the Dept of Ed!!

I do feel a little better now that I'm beginning to establish communities out here. As I've mentioned before, I'm slowly getting to know my teachers--although it's unlikely those relationships will transcend school walls. But more and more time spent with the UU Young Adults is certainly helping to develop relationships. Wednesday night Meghan, Brittany, and I went to a Food & Fellowship night with (free!) dinner and a lovely group discussion on faith ideologies and questions that arise from them. Today we went out with the sameish group for brunch, and although a little spendy, I did meet someone who went to school with my cousin. And that's awesome.

I think I need to exercise more regularly. But I don't have the time. But I am paying for a gym membership. Oh, life.

=) KP

No comments:

Post a Comment