Friday, January 29, 2010

Do Re MOUSE!

Yep, that's how my afternoon 5th grade class commenced on Thursday. Having observant students is a mixed blessing. Great when they're into the lesson, less desirable when all their focus shoots directly to the mouse scurrying behind me. Also less than desirable: the fact that there was a mouse in my classroom. One custodian, several sticky paper traps, and a backward classroom later--trapped mouse. And a room full of 5th graders captivated by its demise. So glad this all coincided with my boss's first (surprise) visit of the year to my classroom... He did dispose of the mouse, though. That's a plus.

Combine that with a classroom fistfight (albeit ultimately harmless) on Monday, and you've got a great week for the memory books. The kids are ok, and I now know how to file an incident report. Oh, paperwork...

So it's been fun. Between a "regular" Friday subbing job until March, a boom in babysitter demand, and not much opportunity to spend my money in these winter months, money's a little looser (as opposed to tighter) than it has been, although I still wouldn't rate my income as much above livable. Whatevs, I'm in New York. New. York. Concrete jungle where dreams are made of... Damn you, "Empire State of Mind" and your uncanny suitability for both my 5th grade hip hop AND notation AND NYC music units. PS, "where dreams are made of" does not make sense. It doesn't.

I'm a little busier these days what with these five day work weeks and TWO day weekends (What??), but chats always welcome!

Love & Hugs,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. We once had a hummingbird get caught in the lunchroom...I suppose and odd advantage to a school being parked in a corn field. The principle shooed it gently out with a piece of paper. Whizzing, frightened birds + food + 60 3rd graders = AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. albeit is one of those words i always read wrong (have we had this conversation before? you know, like the word paradigm?) and i think for the first time in my life i read it correctly. and it was a "oooh, it's THAT word" type of moment. haha.

    also, i hate mice.

    ReplyDelete