Thursday, January 14, 2010

A New Chapter

As of approximately 8:40 pm on Tuesday, January 13, 2010, I am over American Idol.

I suppose it's been coming more or less for about 8 years... I've grown increasingly impatient with various aspects of the show--emphasis on appearance, lack of technical critique, predictable and often low-flying banter and punchlines, aggrandized sense of self-importance--but 10 minutes into the viewing and the joys of a knockout performance or a particularly witty Simonism just couldn't provide enough counterbalance any longer. I noticed headlines regarding an earthquake in Haiti on the neighboring screen (no, I have not increased my TV ownership from 0 to 2; I was watching whilst ellipticizing), and with a flip of the channel I was listening to coverage of a devastating natural disaster in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

Probably one of the starker contrasts of programming one could imagine, right? The situation just shot squarely into perspective what an ill fit American Idol has become in my current, ever-evolving worldview. Natural living, service-oriented vocation, substance over style... Of course, I'll still tune in occasionally if there's nothing better to watch on a Tuesday exercise night; right now that's not a problem because of the witty, under-watched (like, Quick--WATCH THIS SHOW before it experiences an untimely demise ala Arrested Development), brilliantly written Better Off Ted. But I have no problem missing out. In the wise words of Meghan Smith, "Sometimes it's easier to let go of old skins we've already nearly shed with a little nudge." Or an earthquake. =P

Onto material a little less self-serious...

Things That Are Awesome (An Ongoing Series)

Elementary school assemblies
I find myself perpetually beaming with pride over my students, both in and outside of my classroom. Reading poems and short paragraphs--and RAPS--on Martin Luther King, Jr. wasn't on the whole the most riveting piece of programming I'll ever see, but it's so fascinating to witness my students' performance in areas other than music. So. Proud.

Fruit that ripens after cut open
That was an oops on my part; I misjudged the readiness of the avocado. But 3 days in tupperware, slice off the browned flesh, and voila! Guacamole.

Meeting friendly neighbors

Mastering the art of cooking eggplant so it tastes like something

Garnering my first subbing job...
Filling in for another ETM teacher tomorrow. Actually, we'll find out if this is awesome or not. But I have high hopes.

Sally
More free dinners, more babysitting jobs. Love this woman.

Three day weekends followed by a professional development day
2-day teaching week!

March 27-30 in Waverly
Plan accordingly. =)

Responsibly assembled lists of organizations working to provide relief to all involved in the Haitian earthquake... Please consider offering your support!
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/

Love & Hugs!
KP =)

No comments:

Post a Comment