Friday, February 5, 2010

For Your Consideration

Not much of interest going on this week... So allow me to take this lull in activity to offer some various recommendations in the realm of media and beyond

Film

Google Me
Another great Hulu find. Amateur documentarian sets out to meet every man in the world sharing his name through Google searches. Six agree to meet and be interviewed, and what ensues is an amusing and often thought-provoking series of human profiles. From priest to adult swinger, each man tells his unique story... The filmmaker is actually the least engaging of all of them, but the documentary on the whole focuses on the rest of them so it's not a problem. =)
http://www.hulu.com/watch/119970/google-me

Hotel Rwanda
One of those that's been on the "I should see that sometime" list practically since it was first made. I'm glad I viewed it after Tanzania; I'm better equipped to place the events and locale in context than I would have been without the experience. I do, however, recommend it even if you have not been to the African continent.

Literature

The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
Similarly, my enjoyment and understanding of the content was greatly supported by my May Term sojourn in Africa, particularly as this novel relates the saga of a family called to serve as Christian missionaries in the Congo. I glimpsed bits of Pastor Hafermann and the other missionaries we met--both positive and negative--in the various narratives. Again, obviously still to be enjoyed by those unfamiliar with the Christian movement in Africa, but this one I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone who has been on the trip.

"A White Teacher Speaks Out"
Meghan passed this gem along to me. You so desperately want to applaud what appears to be a vicious satire on racism in education and cultural relations incompetence... And then you realize the truth could not be further from the appearance. This is a real person, living and spreading these ugly ideologies in 2010. Sick.
http://www.amren.com/ar/2009/07/index.html

Television

Lost
Duh.

Culinary Arts

Greek Eggplant Panini
Baked and seasoned eggplant with feta, sundried tomatoes, and hummus on a buttered and pan-fried pita.

Raw Broccoli and Bleu Cheese
I'm really into snacks now...

Spaghetti Primavera
Whole wheat pasta with olive oil-sauteed mushrooms, artichokes, carrots, and zucchini. Actually, that sounds like dinner tonight.

Break in a week! When I first looked at the 2010 calendar, I thought, "Psh, why do we need a week-long break 5 weeks into school?" And then I had to make five behavior-related calls home this week. Bring on the vacation.

=) KP

1 comment:

  1. break for me in a week too (thank you Chinese New Year)!

    Poisonwood Bible is on my "to read" list for while I'm here. I'll get to it in a few months and get back to you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete