Saturday, August 8, 2009

Stressed until October... but it's ok.

First of all, I LOVE my family. They drove all the way out here with a U-Haul trailer hitched to the back of the van with all my stuff and IKEA furniture. They moved all of that stuff up four floors (with the assistance of an elevator, but still) and built furniture and cleaned surfaces and organized cupboards... I still have quite a bit to unpack and organize, of course, but seriously--this would have been downright unmanageable without their help. My family is awesome.

Second of all, I am moved! My address:

75 Thayer St, Apt 4F
New York, NY 10040

Nice studio with separate kitchen, elevator building, laundry in building, really helpful (if not totally English-speaking) super, lots of closet space, easy access to basic needs. It's totally sufficient. Which is going to be the operative term of the year. Totally sufficient. Because I'm not making enough to have any sort of luxuries--a lifestyle which theoretically I embrace but in reality becomes surprisingly scary. I've had everything provided for me for my entire life; I've led a conspicuously blessed life and for all my recognition of and ideological distaste for privilege, it is ultimately nice to have it. So I'm trying to frame the next year as a giant, totally immersive learning experience. I'll have a better understanding of the lives of those I'm interested in teaching. Kind of. So from that perspective I'm excited. But I still would like to eat out every once in a while...

Side annoyance: Do I really have to pay for Internet if I can steal wireless from my apartment? Psh security...

But really I still love this city. Though suburban New Jersey makes me homesick and I'm getting a little tired of public transportation, I know starting school will rejuvenate my energies. And finding a second job would be nice. So while I will make every effort to be pleasant toward you in all phone, electronic, and written correspondance, just know that I'm going to be a little off until around Halloween. Sorry in advance =)

Love & Hugs & Consciously plastered smiles,
Kate =)

3 comments:

  1. Ahh I understand! These last few weeks have been so stressful as I attempt to support myself... you have all my sympathies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you'll do just fine. You know what's to come and you can deal with it. If anyone can handle New York, it's definitely you! Go get em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be fine my dear. It's just a matter of readjusting. I know I'm having trouble with the same thing! Not gonna lie, I cried a little last week. *silly*
    You are gonna rock that city.
    *hug*

    ReplyDelete