Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back in the vibe

I've kept entries surprisingly short up to this point... so please forgive me for indulging in another one of my famous essays...

I'm sure it's a combination of job stress, housing stress, and previous exposure, but this summer in general has not been as wildly fantastical as my last in NYC. Wide-eyed discovery, of course, is a one-time thing. As beautiful as Central Park still looks to me, I can't recreate individual moments of wonder like running around the reservoir for the first time (!) or stumbling upon a series of waterfalls on the north end of the park (!!). I've been too busy getting my life in order out here to truly enjoy the city or the summer. Plus it's been either rainy or icky hot for the majority of this summer...

But ah, what a difference a Sunday makes! Back to UU for the first time in a couple weeks and met--names, conversation, and all!--several really nice people... the beginnings of a church community?? As much as I doubt the absolute necessity of a "worship service" of any kind, I will say that I just feel good every time I leave that building.

As per my Sunday routine of last summer, after UU I strolled through Central Park since it's finally sunny and wasn't too hot at 12 (currently it's 89--chance of cactus weather). For the first time this year the park felt fresh and buoyant with spontaneity and life. I felt as though I had stepped into a Charles Ives piece (holla music majors!), meandering through overlapping aural tableaus (tableaux?) rich in diversity... A double bass soloist, dueling acoustic guitars, a self-described cello rock band, a jazz combo riffing scats on swing music, a saxophone-powered funk band, that hip-hop "Every Breath You Take" cover on radio, rhythmically bouncing volleyballs and basketballs, carousel themes, a violin sonata, the clip-clop of horse hooves, children's laughter... what beautiful reminders that I live in such a beautiful city--in all senses.

In other news, my apartment is aaaaaalmost unpacked. Maybe this spiritual lift will propel me to finish the whole thing this afternoon! Hm...

Gotta go!!
Kate =)

No comments:

Post a Comment