Friday, September 18, 2009

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

Though I spent 6 (unpaid) hours at school today, I accomplished very little. Why? Because it seems everything and anything related to the New York City Department of Education and its school system comes up a day late and a dollar short.

Exhibit A: Teaching License
Arrives! In September. 3 months after it's of any use for this school year...

Exhibit B: Class Schedule
It's made! Less than 12 hours before school starts. And it's got a lot of conflicts...

Exhibit C: Custodial Help
They finally filled my request! 4 hours after I made it. And not accurately enough to complete this project... Examples include finally unlocking a closet filled with musical instruments but failing to have time to help move any of said instruments (keyboards are a two-person job), finally arriving to slice off a lock to another closet only to interrupt a class period, finally delivering a ladder that is 3 feet shorter than I need to hang up posters. And seriously, none of these half-results occurred within 4 hours of the initial request. None.

So we'll see what gets done this year. The good news is I have all my instruments but keyboards, I have a good amount of posters up (although none higher than 6 feet), and everyone is friendly enough. Although no one ate any of the two dozen cookies I made for and offered to them today. Who are these people, and how am I going to eat 2 dozen funfetti cookies?? (If you book a flight now, you are welcome to share them with me =)

Also, I woke up late yesterday morning due to a faulty alarm clock battery--7:00 is the time I leave, not the time I frantically brush my teeth and assemble my belongings--and broke a flip-flop today. Good thing I can get ready in 8 minutes (new record!) and that Old Navy's on my route home. And that they had one--ONE--pair of flip-flops in my size. That happened to be the color of the ones I broke (white, FYI). Also, free bagel lunch today and wonderful Office premiere yesterday. I remain glass three-quarters full. I have to.

=) Kate

2 comments:

  1. Maybe they didn't eat the cookies because they are New Yorkers with an inherant distrust of deliciousness and funfetti...

    Unlike cookies at Wartburg, which if unattended tend to disappear within seconds. =D

    Or you could give them to Tork. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it katie! and you have delicious funfetti cookies as comfort food.

    just think of it as the next big undertaking. i mean, we put on a large scale musical, i think we can do anything. :)

    ReplyDelete