Sunday, March 7, 2010

So Far So Good

I've been doing rather well on the goals I set forth for March...

Concert music is 80% selected (now I just have to track down all that sheet music...)

More art--check. I'm sketchin' on subways and pickin' away at the guitar in my free time, and it feels great to be doing creative stuff again that has nothing to do with school children!

Smiling on subways... Working on it. I'd say 30% success so far.

Love love LOVE recording the happy feel-good moments (or HFGM) of my day!! Not only am I a happier girl at the end of the day, but I also find myself looking for great moments to record--heightening my consciousness of the beautiful little things that happen all around. Highlights from the week:

*Nyshia: "Ms. Phillips, can I use this picture of President Obama and Ms. Michelle to represent Marriage of Figaro on the Mozart collage?"
[So many things to love here: The fact we're making Mozart collages, her recognition of a now iconic photo--slow dance at the Inauguration--even when intentionally blurry, her use of "Ms. Michelle" to address the first lady...]

*I made a pretty delicious broccoli-egg-ricotta souffle.

*On Thursday I miraculously encountered the elusive no-wait commute--in BOTH directions.

*Later in the day I had a subway car all to myself for an unprecedented four stops. So I sang loudly.

*I found a variety pack of construction paper that included purple. More difficult than one would think.

*Drunk girl at bar: "Hey, guy, the bathroom is behind" (Sober translation: "Excuse me, sir, the line for the bathroom starts behind us") Cue a comical conversation among the rest of us in line on how to properly address a stranger in a bar.

*There are some quality programs out there to aid urban educators. Thank you, Project Cicero, for facilitating the near-tripling of my music book library!!

*Indian spring, the psychological effects of which are somewhat regrettable in late March, is a welcome phenomenon in early March. And by Indian spring I mean the converse of Indian fall.

*Today I cut out pictures for my next bulletin board on the subway. I hope it looked as awesome as I imagine it did.

As for the goal of holding off Waverly excitement... 4 out of 5 goals isn't bad. =)

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment