Saturday, December 12, 2009

End in sight!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... and it's a string of Christmas twinklers =)

I'm actually really getting into the holiday season this year... In college it seemed to get lost in finals and CWW (burning out on endless rehearsals and interdirector passive agression does not exactly put one in the holiday spirit), but now in full-on concert mode and all of New York decorated, I've been given the opportunity to embrace the season. The pinnacle may be tonight, when I decorate my apartment while watching Elf. Now if I only had the energy to make cookies...

The Week in Review

The catalyst for my newly discovered holiday cheer would have to have been the Christmas Spectacular Day on the Town in which Meghan and I partook Saturday. Though the Radio City show was as cheesy as I'd imagined, it did have some nifty special effects and nostalgic musical offerings of the Christmas variety. After the (9am) show, we hustled ourselves around the city for the rest of the day--in the rain. I think for about 10 minutes it was snow... that's kind of festive, right? Anyway, we walked our way through many a holiday market and bookstore and surprisingly made a number of satisfying gift purchases. Best part: entertainment and food ALL paid for by my lovely grandparents. Good times =)

It's cold here. Winter accessories cold--but I do love winter accessories! Regardless of the temperature and wind though, it has yet to compare to Midwest winter. Every time I feel my thighs start to numb, I think, "How much colder would it have to be for my eyelashes and/or boogers to freezy?" The answer is always "Tens of degrees," so we're good.

I learned that the simple act of visiting a doctor cures most ailments. Well, that and getting a prescription for Z-pak (it's like my very own interactive Advent calendar!). But the ear thing DID solve itself. Thanks, ear. Also, thanks Duane Reade (think New Yorker Walgreens/CVS) for providing a walk-in doctor's office for those of us who don't have real roots. Yet.

I've consumed 2+ seasons of 30 Rock (for the second time, of course) in about as many weeks. I do have to say, the brilliant show is even better once you live in New York. So many geographically oriented inside jokes.

99 Cent Stores are a waste of time. I went to 3 today looking for stickers, construction paper, and non-religious wrapping paper (for my classroom door) with no results. Then I went to Target and got all of them for 99 Cent Store prices. Suburban-oriented amenities: 1. Urban-oriented amenities: 0.

Concerts this week! I do have an accompanist (that happened Monday--it's generally been a very good week!) and my kids seem excited and adequately prepared to perform. And that's the most I could ever ask for my very first concert endeavor.

The next door neighbors just began to belt Tiny Dancer. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night. =)

Kate

1 comment:

  1. break a leg for your concert(s?)!!! i want to hear all about it!

    i've been trying awfully hard to get into the christmas spirit this holiday, but it's not as easy. i did however make delicious christmas cookies this weekend!

    also, i love the zpack, it does wonders for my asthmatic self. and i almost laughed out loud when you compared it to an advent calendar.

    i think that's all i got. :)

    ReplyDelete